By Pulse Staff
The University of Findlay released plans on how to handle a long-term power outage on campus this evening. The first notification of the outage went out via Oiler Alert this morning around 9:30 a.m. and stated that AEP, the electric company that services campus was working on the problem.
As of 6:15 p.m., AEP’s website said that 359 customers were affected by two outages in Findlay.
Students adapted to lack of power across campus today. Some classes found alternate locations to meet but no electric caused many professors to make other plans for their students. Other events on campus were adjusted as well. A major gift announcement event planned at the College of Business Student Life Center at 2:30 p.m. went on with generators keeping things operational.
The University announced adjustments to other events on campus this evening but one big question is the Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity events planned for Friday, April 8. So far, the University says it will continue as planned but it may have to make adjustments tomorrow.
The University released this statement via email shortly before 6 p.m.
Earlier today, the University of Findlay experienced a campus-wide power outage due to a local substation issue that is currently under investigation by American Electric Power (AEP). All of main campus currently remains without power. We understand this is a challenging situation. The University is monitoring the power outage and will keep campus updated as information becomes available from AEP.
Until power is restored, please note:
- Campus security and City of Findlay police will be increasing patrol in and around campus
- Residence halls will have increased residence life staffing – exercise caution when walking in and around your dorms due to low light
- The HVAC systems will not be operational until full power is restored, so please dress accordingly
- Henderson Dining Hall will be open tonight for dinner with a limited menu until 7:30 p.m. and will reopen 7 – 10 a.m. for breakfast
- Koehler Fitness Center has power and can be used as a location to charge mobile devices and use bathrooms. The Mac side will be open until midnight and the rec side will be open until 10 p.m. Please bring your power cords.
- Tower lights will be placed in the quad area in the middle of Morey, Myers, Fox and Bare Halls and outside the Haven
- Power strips will be available for charging in the common area of the Haven and Bare Hall
- The AMU will be available all night with a generator powering lights and the fireplace will be on
Regarding Upcoming Events:
The Surgeon General visit at 6 p.m. tonight sponsored by the College of Pharmacy has been relocated to the CBSL atrium
- The Dana Chair Anniversary Celebration at 6 p.m. is still taking place in the Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion
- The Greek Live Can Wars event is still taking place at 6 p.m. in the AMU atrium
- SSC is still continuing as planned. We will reassess in the morning if power has not been restored.
Campus Security is accessible. Please do not hesitate to contact Campus Security should you have questions or concerns: 201 Frazer St., Findlay, OH 45840 | 419-434-4601|